Helix Nebula @ Workshop on Parametrization of clouds and precipitation across model resolutions, 8 November 2012, Reading, UK
Terradue, CERN, Atos & ESA will be present at the Workshop on Parametrization of clouds and precipitation across model resolutions, organised by the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF, the Centre), in Reading, UK on the 8 November 2012.
The ECMWF strategy for the development of physical parametrizations over the next decade places particular emphasis on most physics and there are many questions of how best to represent the hydrological, radiative and dynamical impacts of cloud and precipitation across an increasing range of model resolutions.
This workshop will discuss latest advances in understanding some of the key issues in parametrizing cloud and precipitation processes. The aim is to provide advice on the direction of future cloud scheme developments, with a particular emphasis on NWP as resolution increases from the 'large-scale' towards the 'convective-scale'. Such issues include:
• The appropriate level of complexity and numerical formulation of microphysics.
• How to represent the impacts of sub-grid heterogeneity efficiently and
• consistently across the range of model resolutions.
• How to get the most benefit from observations with an emphasis on evaluating
• and constraining cloud and precipitation processes.
HELIX NEBULA PARTNERSHIP
Helix Nebula is a new, pioneering partnership between leading IT providers and four of Europe’s biggest research centres, CERN, EMBL, ESA and PIC, charting a course towards sustainable cloud services for the research communities - the Science Cloud.